Spring Forward – Time Change Sunday March 11 2018
I’ll admit I am happy to see the short dark winter days turn into longer, sunshine filled days here in Lake Tahoe.
I’m never happy about losing that hour of sleep, but I look at the Spring Forward time change as a two for one.
On Sunday, March 11, 2018 we move our clocks forward one hour (yes, an extra hour of daylight at the end of our days) as we start daylight savings time.
In addition, in the Lake Tahoe area since the shortest day of the year last December 21, 2017, we’ve added about 82 minutes of daylight, or 1.4 hours sunshine to each day.
That means that in the Tahoe City area on the shortest day of the year in 2017, sunset was at 4:41 p.m. Before the time changes, on Saturday, March 10, 2018, sunset will be at 6:03 p.m. or a gain of 82 minutes! Once we spring forward on Sunday, March 11, 2018, sunset will be at 7:04 p.m. – a big two for one for those that love the longer days of daylight!
Twice a year we change time on our area. The first Sunday in November we set our clocks back an hour (Fall Back), and on the second Sunday in March (Spring Forward) we move them forward one hour.
Depending on where you live you may not make the twice a year time changes, but if you’ll be up in the greater Tahoe City – North Lake Tahoe – Truckee, California area, you will need to adjust your clocks accordingly.
So before you go to bed on Saturday, March 10, 2018, you’ll need to remember to set your clocks ahead one hour!
Here is my list of things to do on Spring Forward day:
- Change clocks in our home, office, and cars (move forward one hour).
- Check smoke alarms (new ones have the battery good for 10 years) just to make sure they are all working.
- Check all carbon monoxide alarms/detectors just to make sure they are still working
- Fire extinguishers (check to make sure they haven’t been moved and/or damaged). This is also a good time to buy and add another one and put it in a room that doesn’t already have one.
- Any security device or item that uses a battery and is wireless (security cameras, video door bells, exterior/interior lights)
- All Flashlights (working, extra batteries), candles, matches, lighters, short-term lighting devices
- Back-up charger device for cell phones/lap tops (if they have a solar option for re-charging that’s always a bonus)
- Canned goods/emergency food supplies (we’ve been pretty good about rotating our inventory, but it’s time to check on the bottled water and to make sure we are still well stocked)
- New on my list this time:
- Get a battery operated radio
- Get a small TV that can be powered by connecting to just a USB port device
- Get the TV antenna device that will work with a digital TV that can get us the free national channels, just in case the cable goes down.
I already have two different Internet sources – phone and cable, so if the power goes out, we can still get information, but it’s time to plan for other information sources to the Internet.
For those not as familiar with the Lake Tahoe – Tahoe City – Truckee areas some of our important utility lines (electric, cable, phone) are located above ground, and several times a year the power will go out for all different types of reasons, so we’re becoming better prepared.
Take advantage of this timely reminder to not only change your clocks, but to keep do some routine safety checks, along with taking care of your emergency home preparation, for that just in case moment!
Upcoming future dates to keep in mind (number of days are from March 11, 2018):
- Next time Change: Sunday, November 4, 2018 | 238 days (Fall Back and Gain One Hour)
- Longest Day of the Year: Thursday, June 21, 2017 Summer Solstice | 102 days
- 4th of July | 115 days
- Shortest Day of the Year 2018 – Thursday, June 21, 2018 | 285 days – Winter Solstice
The thing that I like about seeing how many days there are to some of these time related events is the chance to refocus on some personal goals.
I’ve done okay with my New Year’s resolution, but I’m not making the kind of progress I had hoped for.
As I look at how quickly the rest of the year is going to slip by, I’ve decided to start a new 90 day diet. I’m going to start the Sunday before the time change on March 4, 2018 and end it on June 1, 2018.
Like the current soup commercial on TV has been telling us “…summer bodies are made in the winter, they just don’t say how they are made…” so now is the time for me to re-start that New Year’s resolution.
We still have several weeks of winter ahead of us, and as the icicles melt and they take us into another season, you too should take advantage of these dates that mark the passage of time, and make the most out of the rest of the year!
If you live in the greater North Lake Tahoe – Tahoe City area, it’s time to move your clocks forward this Sunday, March 11, 2018!
Ready to call North Lake Tahoe home too? Check out what is available for sale in Tahoe City here:
Spring Forward – Time Change Sunday March 11 2018