Spring Forward – Time Change | Sunday, March 13, 2022
It is time to Spring Forward and change your clocks by moving the time forward one hour!
This Sunday, March 13, 2022, you will need to change your clocks by one hour if you live in the North Lake Tahoe – Truckee area!
It’s been a long winter, and I am ready for more sunshine and a move towards warmer, longer days!
On Sunday, March 13, 2022 (the change happens on the second Sunday in March), we will all need to move our clocks forward one hour (yes, an extra hour of daylight at the end of our days, and one less hour of sleep) as we start daylight savings time here in our area.
Before the time changes, on Saturday, March 12, 2022, sunset will be at 6:05 p.m. Once we spring forward on Sunday, March 13, 2022, sunset will be an hour later at 7:06 p.m.!
Remember before you go to bed on Saturday night, you’ll need to set any manual clocks ahead one hour!
Since we have the twice a year clock change, here is my list of things additional tasks to do on Spring Forward day:
- Change clocks in our home, office, kitchen (microwave and oven), and cars (move forward one hour). Yes, we still have some manual clocks that do not reset on their own. : )
- Check smoke alarms It doesn’t hurt to make sure they are all working and replace those that don’t respond. Since most have multiple-year batteries in them, replace those that are older. You should have one alarm in each sleeping area, and in a common area on each floor.
- Check all carbon monoxide alarms/detectors Again, just a quick check to make sure they are still working. You should have at least one carbon monoxide alarm/detector on each floor.
- Fire extinguishers (check to make sure they haven’t been moved and/or damaged). This is also a good time to buy and add another one and put it in a room that doesn’t already have one. If you add one each time we have the time change, the additional expense is easier on your budget.
- Any security device or item that uses a battery and is wireless (security cameras, video doorbells, exterior/interior lights) that need to be changed every 6 months to a year.
- All Flashlights (working, extra batteries), candles, matches, lighters, short-term lighting devices.
- Back-up charger device for cell phones/laptops (if they have a solar option for re-charging that’s always a bonus). There are a number of extra power devices that can hold a charge for up to a year, but now it a good to check and re-charge.
- Canned goods/emergency food supplies You never know when you might not be able to go to the store, so if you haven’t checked your emergency food and daily living supplies (bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, etc.), now is the time to check those supplies, rotate old out – new in, and other supplies are on hand.
- Make sure you have the following:
- Get a battery-operated radio
- Get a small TV that can be powered by connecting to just a USB port device that works on an antenna (free tv – news and information in an emergency, or power outage)
- Get the TV antenna device that will work with a digital TV that can get us the free national channels. You never know when the cable could go down.
- Create a fire evacuation emergency plan. Have you designated a location outside of the Tahoe Basin – Truckee area that everyone will/can meet at, or someone to call to let everyone know you are alright that lives outside of the area? Having a plan in place before an emergency is critical if you spend time in our area.
- Figure out your “grab bags” – items to take with you if you had to leave the area with just a few minutes of notice. I have put together a list of items throughout our home to take. Knowing what the item is, and what room it is located in can save you a lot of time and give you your best opportunity to get those items in a “must leave” situation.
- Having your bags partially loaded, along with the “grab and go list” makes you more prepared for that emergency event. Now is the time to do these critical tasks for that “just in case” emergency moment.
For those not as familiar with the Lake Tahoe – Tahoe City – Truckee areas some of our important utility lines (electric, cable, phone) are located above ground, and several times a year the power will go out for all different types of reasons, so being prepared for a “no power situation” is a must.
We are also located in a high-fire zone. The reminder to be prepared for a disaster (wildfire) and having everyone in your house-hold familiar with what to do if the worst-case situation should happen is very important, so make your emergency plans now.
Take advantage of this timely reminder to not only change your clocks but to do some routine safety checks, along with being proactive on your emergency home preparation plans for that just in case moment!
Upcoming future dates to keep in mind (number of days are from March 13, 2022):
- Next time Change: Sunday, November 6, 2022, | 238 days (Fall Back and Gain One Hour)
- Longest Day of the Year: Tuesday, June 21, 2022, – Summer Solstice | 100 days
- 4th of July – Monday | 113 days
- Shortest Day of the Year 2021 – Wednesday, December 21, 2022, | 283 days – Winter Solstice
If you haven’t made your plans to be here in the North Lake Tahoe – Truckee area, now is the time to look at your calendar and figure out your trips for the rest of the year!
If you live in the greater North Lake Tahoe – Tahoe City area, it’s time to move your clocks forward this Sunday, March 14, 2021!
Thinking about making Lake Tahoe, California your second home? Check out the homes that are for sale here:
Want to see what condos are for sale in Lake Tahoe? Here are the current listings:
Do you want to search for property – homes, condos/townhomes, and lots for sale by Map? Start your search here in the Tahoe City, CA area:
- Tahoe City Homes for Sale
- Tahoe City Condos for Sale
- Tahoe City Lakefront Homes for Sale
- Lake Tahoe Lakefront Homes for Sale
- North Shore Lake Tahoe Homes for Sale
- West Shore Lake Tahoe Homes for Sale
For all of your Tahoe real estate needs –
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Spring Forward – Time Change | Sunday, March 13, 2022