Spring Forward – Time Change | Sunday March 10 2019
It’s that time of year to Spring Forward and move your clocks ahead one hour if you live in the North Lake Tahoe – Truckee area!
I’ll admit, this is one of my favorite days of the year.
I long for the longer days of sunshine, and I am happy to see the short dark winter days disappear here in the North Lake Tahoe – Truckee area!
It’s been a long winter with a lot of snow. This photo was taken on Thursday, March 7, 2019.
You can see how much snow is around this pool that is only open during the summer.
We have a lot of snow to melt out before we get to our summer season!
So you can see why I’d be excited to have longer days with more sunshine.
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 we will all need to move our clocks forward one hour (yes, an extra hour of daylight at the end of our days, and one less hour of sleep) as we start daylight savings time here in our area.
Yes, there are states that do not have the time change twice a year, but we are one of those states that does have it.
Since the shortest day of the year last December 21, 2018, we’ve added about 81 minutes of daylight, or approximately 1.35 hour of sunshine to each day.
If you want to do the math this means that in the Tahoe City area on the shortest day of the year in December 2018, sunset was at 4:40 p.m.
Before the time changes, on Saturday, March 9, 2019 sunset will be at 6:01 p.m. or a gain of 81 minutes!
Once we spring forward on Sunday, March 10, 2019, sunset will be an hour later at 7:02 p.m.!
So before you go to bed on Saturday, March 10, 2018, you’ll need to remember to set your clocks ahead one hour!
Since we have the twice a year clock change, here is my list of things additional tasks to do on Spring Forward day:
- Change clocks in our home, office,kitchen (microwave and oven) and cars (move forward one hour). Yes, we still have some manual clocks that do not reset on their own.
- Check smoke alarms (new ones have the battery good for 10 years) just to make sure they are all working and replace those that are older.
- Check all carbon monoxide alarms/detectors just to make sure they are still working.
- Fire extinguishers (check to make sure they haven’t been moved and/or damaged). This is also a good time to buy and add another one and put it in a room that doesn’t already have one. If you add one each time we have the time change, the additional expense is easier on your budget.
- Any security device or item that uses a battery and is wireless (security cameras, video door bells, exterior/interior lights) that need to be changed every 6 months to a year.
- All Flashlights (working, extra batteries), candles, matches, lighters, short-term lighting devices. We just purchased more triple AAA and double AA batteries at Costco, so if you haven’t checked your battery drawer, this is a good time to make sure you are well stocked.
- Back-up charger device for cell phones/lap tops (if they have a solar option for re-charging that’s always a bonus). I can also check this one-off my list. The recent power outages had me re-charging these two items a couple weeks ago.
- Canned goods/emergency food supplies (we’ve been pretty good about rotating our inventory, but it’s time to check on the bottled water and to make sure we are still well stocked)
- Still on my to-do list:
- Get a battery operated radio
- Get a small TV that can be powered by connecting to just a USB port device
- Get the TV antenna device that will work with a digital TV that can get us the free national channels, just in case the cable goes down.
For those not as familiar with the Lake Tahoe – Tahoe City – Truckee areas some of our important utility lines (electric, cable, phone) are located above ground, and several times a year the power will go out for all different types of reasons, so we’re becoming better prepared.
Take advantage of this timely reminder to not only change your clocks, but to do some routine safety checks, along with being proactive on your emergency home preparation, for that just in case moment!
Upcoming future dates to keep in mind (number of days are from March 10, 2019):
- Next time Change: Sunday, November 3, 2019 | 238 days (Fall Back and Gain One Hour)
- Longest Day of the Year: Friday, June 21, 2019 Summer Solstice | 104 days
- 4th of July | 117 days
- Shortest Day of the Year 2019 – Friday, December 21, 2019 | 287 days – Winter Solstice
While we still have several weeks of winter ahead of us, Spring and Summer will be here before you know it.
Now is the time to make the most of 2019. If you haven’t made your plans to be here in the North Lake Tahoe – Truckee area, now is the time to look at your calendar and figure out when you can be here!
If you live in the greater North Lake Tahoe – Tahoe City area, it’s time to move your clocks forward this Sunday, March 10, 2019!
Thinking about making Lake Tahoe, California your second home? Check out the homes that are for sale here:
Want to see what condos are for sale in Lake Tahoe? Here are the current listings:
- Tahoe City Homes for Sale
- Tahoe City Condos for Sale
- Tahoe City Lakefront Homes for Sale
- Lake Tahoe Lakefront Homes for Sale
- North Shore Lake Tahoe Homes for Sale
- West Shore Lake Tahoe Homes for Sale
For all of your Tahoe real estate needs –
All information is deemed reliable, but is subject to change, and/or correction without notice.
Spring Forward – Time Change | Sunday March 10 2019